CHÂTEAU CLOS LA CHAPELLE
AOC Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux
From its elevated position on the hillsides overlooking the river, Château Clos La Chapelle offers a splendid panorama over the Garonne valley, the vineyards of Graves and as far away as the Landes forest.
It is in the prestigious Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux appellation which owes its origins to the Knight Lamothe-Cadillac who, when appointed governor of the state of Louisiana in the United States in the XVIIIth century, insisted upon taking with him the wines from this his favorite terroir.
The Cadillac Côtes de Bordeaux vineyards gently undulate along the right bank of the Garonne with their south easterly aspect allowing them to enjoy excellent sunshine exposure.
Situated close to Bordeaux, the house belonged to a Spanish family up until the XVIIth century before being acquired by a wealthy Bordeaux family, the Larcebaults, one of whom was a Councilor and later Alderman of the town in 1652. In 1864 it was transformed by Dr. Barincou into a magnificent family mansion with its own private park.
The property with its 31 hectares has retained all its authenticity and character. It was purchased by the Bonfils family in 2010 with the objective of producing a classic Bordeaux of great quality, genuine and respectful of traditions.
The Château Clos La Chapelle vineyard is composed of contiguous parcels of mainly gravel and clay with a sub-soil of flaky rock. The greater part is planted with Merlot which is supremely adapted to this terroir, with Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc to be found respectively on the domain’s more gravelly and chalky soils.